After a ground-up redesign for 2015, the Golf GTI continues with few changes.
- MIB II infotainment systems with USB and VW Car-Net App-Connect (6.5-inch touchscreen)
- Rearview camera standard
- Updated Driver Assistance Package (available on SE and Autobahn models) includes: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking (Front Assist) and Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist), Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist), Blind Spot Monitor w/ Rear Traffic Alert, Park Distance Control (Park Pilot), and Parking Steering Assistant (Park Assist)
- Room for five with a larger trunk than any mid-size sedan
- Increases of 10 horsepower and 51 pound-feet of torque from new EA888 TSI® engine
- $700 price decrease on content-adjusted comparison with previous GTI
- EPA estimated highway fuel economy improves by 3 mpg with the manual transmission
- Golf GTI Performance Package provides a great value at just $1,495, includes electronically-controlled torque-sensing limited-slip differential
- DCC® adaptive damping to be offered as an option for the first time in the U.S.
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) TOP SAFETY PICK+ when equipped with optional Driver Assistance Package
Golf GTI S
The Golf GTI S begins at $24,395 for the two-door model and $24,995 for the four-door, both with six-speed manual transmission. The dual-clutch DSG transmission in either configuration costs an additional $1,100. This base model comes incredibly well-equipped and includes: the 210-hp 2.0-liter TSI engine; 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels; Bluetooth® connectivity; a touchscreen infotainment system; Sirius XM® Satellite ; a Media Device Interface (MDI) with iPod® integration; a leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel, handbrake, and shifter knob; VW Car-Net® connected services; ambient and footwell lighting with LED reading lights; cloth sport seats with heritage GTI design; LED foglights; heatable front seats; and a new Driving Mode Selection feature.
The Performance Package becomes available later in the model year on all trims, and includes: larger front and rear brakes, a torque-sensing electronically-controlled limited-slip differential, and a 10 horsepower boost over the regular GTI, for $1,495.
A Lighting Package is available for $995 and adds Bi-Xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights and the Adaptive Front-lighting System. The $695 Driver Assistance Package adds a Forward Collision Warning system and front and rear Park Distance Control.
Golf GTI SE
The SE lies in the middle of the Golf GTI range, beginning at $27,395 for the two-door model and $27,995 for the four-door version. As with the Golf GTI S, the six-speed manual transmission can be replaced with the DSG automatic for $1,100. The SE includes all the features of the S and adds: a power tilt and slide sunroof; Keyless access with push-button start; a rearview camera; automatic headlights; rain-sensing windshield wipers; the Fender® Premium Audio System; and leather seating surfaces. The DCC adaptive damping system is available with the Performance Package for an additional $800 at this trim level.
Golf GTI Autobahn
The Autobahn trim once again sits at the top of the Golf GTI lineup, and begins at $29,595 for the four-door with six-speed manual transmission. There is no two-door option, but the DSG automatic transmission is available for $1,100. This model adds a navigation system, a 12-way power driver’s seat, and Climatronic automatic air conditioning to the list of standard equipment on the SE. As in the other two models, it can be optionally equipped with the Driver Assistance Package, Lighting Package, and Performance Package, with or without the DCC system.
Contact me to find out more about the new 2016 Golf GTI!